Monday, August 3, 2015

It's Better Than Fig Leaves

Perhaps I lack a sense of fashion, but I have never felt drawn to animal print outfits or crocodile handbags. To my mind zebra stripe belongs only on zebras, snakeskin makes better snakes than boots, the leopard can keep his spots to himself and, giraffe print only ever looks right on someone with a 12 foot neck (so pretty much just giraffes and the guys from beyond alpha centauri).


The seeming public obsession with animal prints continues, circling round every few years with varying degrees of accuracy and imagination. Looking at craft and fabric store faux furs I have to wonder if there really are that many people seeking turquoise tiger stripes or, say, spandex-knit pant-weight skin of an animal I'm guessing it was half cheetah, half komodo dragon? I don't know.


But then, as I was pondering yet again the dubious wisdom that causes someone to put together an outfit consisting entirely of leopard print (in this case a swim suit and sarong edged in wooden beads no doubt meant to look tribal somehow) the answer came to me: It all goes back to the garden of Eden.

And the LORD God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins and clothed them. ~Genesis 3:21

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.